Re: Issue 29 - SMPTE tests

Sean and all-

The SMPTE timebase was meant for providing labels
on blocks of text such that one could translate
from US and DVB captioning into and out of DFXP
without loss of timing information and sync.  It
was not meant as a particularly useful of
friendly authoring timebase.  That is, if the
block of captions were encoding on frame X of a
clip, in an automated translation into DFXP the
12M fields were tagged as such in DFXP, and then
when it was converted back to captions and
re-inserted into the video clip, the captions
could be restored to the precise video frame they came from.

The drop/non-drop comes from fields in the SMPTE
12M timecode - again more to preserve the
transformation than enable a useful authoring
timebase.   It does not infer more than that.

DFXP native authoring in SMPTE timebase would be
odd.  Anyone natively authoring in DFXP would
naturally use the media clock.  When authored in
the media timebase, a conversion downstream into
a 12M television caption system would be a best
effort conversion of exactly which video frame to
put the captions on.  A transformation would
occasionally be "off" by one frame.

Also, there is no such thing in real life as
"NTSC 30". "NTSC" is only 29.97, by
definition.  I think the fields and semantics
need to remain as they were defined.  However,
perhaps more clarifications are needed about the
purpose for this timebase and its limitations?

Also since DFXP was drafted, 12M has been revised
to support more values.  Although backwards
compatible, someone should probably see if the
new 12M is supported fully in DFXP and update the reference as appropriate.

Regarding Sync007, I don't offhand recall
discussions about transformations in and out of
the MPEG-2 TS time model, but this seems like a
good example of how it could work.

Missing are examples of the "clock" timebase,
which could theoretically be used to map into and
out of the popular NTP/RTP based systems.

Regards,

         Mike