RE: beginEnd002: par timeContainer and child with no duration

well, granted it's not the strongest of cases and would, as others have pointed out, lead to ambiguous timing situations, but i wanted to float the proposal anyhow.  ccplayer's behavior with regards to captions having begin with no dur or end may be problematic in the test cases, however.

onward...

g.

From: Glenn A. Adams [gadams@xfsi.com]
Sent: Monday, December 15, 2008 10:29 PM
To: Silvia Pfeiffer; Geoff Freed
Cc: Sean Hayes; public-tt@w3.org
Subject: RE: beginEnd002: par timeContainer and child with no duration

I also agree with Silvia, and would oppose the change suggested by
Geoff. The proposed change would be a significant departure from SMIL
timing semantics, which we have tried to maintain.

Geoff, a better way for you to express what you want would be:

G.

Behalf Of Silvia
> Pfeiffer
> Sent: Tuesday, December 16, 2008 9:41 AM
> To: Geoff Freed
> Cc: Sean Hayes; public-tt@w3.org
> Subject: Re: beginEnd002: par timeContainer and child with no duration
>

> On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 11:51 AM, Geoff Freed <geoff_freed@wgbh.org>
wrote:

> > i agree with sean's explanation, as this is the expected behavior
according to dfxp
> now.  however, when we built ccplayer we implemented things a bit
differently-- that is,
> a caption that has a begin time but no end time or dur will display
until the next
> caption displays.  at that time, the first caption will erase just
before the next
> caption appears.  so in the case of this:

seconds.<br/>1</p>
seconds.<br/>2</p>
seconds.<br/>3</p>

> > the first caption appears at 1s and is displayed until 2s, at which
time it erases and
> the second caption displays.  at 3s, the second caption erases and the
third caption
> displays.  etc., etc.  in dfxp terms, that equals this:

seconds.<br/>1</p>
seconds.<br/>2</p>
seconds.<br/>3</p>

> > we did things this way because caption software has not always
depended on end times
> to erase captions when the captions are timed to appear sequentially
without pause.

> > doing things the first way means less coding, which is convenient.
i would lobby for