Re: XSL and CSS Re: Coments - last call draft

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 03:56:30 +1000, Glenn A. Adams <gadams@xfsi.com> wrote:

> I will make sure the TT WG considers your proposal, however, I will be
> surprised if there is sufficient support to do so, particularly since
> DFXP does definie style and layout information already (based on XSL,
> which the TTWG deems sufficient), and since DFXP does not define a UA
> nor does its processing model presuppose a UA.
>
> Rather than focusing on a preferred solution (that you seem to be
> proposing), let's try to focus on the problem and the requirements to
> see whether we really have a problem here. I'm not sure the problem is
> being framed well here.

Fair comment I think.

The problem is in enabling users to easily restyle the content to suit
their particular needs (e.g. not using red vs green to distinguish
something for users who are red-green colourblind).

I don't want to assume a solution, but I do note that how CSS applies to
XML is already defined in several W3C recommendations, and it is
reasonably well understood in the context of text-based langauges. So it
seems, seperately, a mistake not to note this in the spec. If CSS is not
the most appropriate solution for the problem of user styling, it still
seems worth some consideration in this context at least, as well as worth
considering in general.

cheers

Chaals

--
Charles McCathieNevile                      Fundacion Sidar
charles@sidar.org   +61 409 134 136    http://www.sidar.org