RE: XSL and CSS Re: Coments - last call draft

To annotate the document does not imply or require the use of style or
timing in AFXP. These are options after the fact, we looked at providing
a mechanism for describing the semantics of captions, but as you and I
know documenting human communication is an open ended and ultimately
subjective activity. If we attempted (as some have) to try and solve
this, we would be tied up for years, thus it was ruled completely out of
scope for TT. What we decided to do instead was allow a simple mechanism
to include whatever semantic notation you wish to adopt, and then use
this in a practical fashion. I don't feel we can do much more, we added
a few simple tags to do simple things but a comprehensive solution, if
it is even possible, is the scope of another body.

The following document demonstrates how you might use TT to support an
in house process:

<tt xmlns:semantic=www.screen.subtitling.com/idealSemanticNotation
<http://www.screen.subtitling.com/idealSemanticNotation> >

            <head>

                                    <semantic:context
id="JohnTalkingToW3CTT"> blah blah blah </ semantic:context >

            </head>

or XSL-FO/XSLT) is flawed. It requires a priori knowledge of the
arbitrary values chosen for class names and metadata attributes in any
style sheet or processor. Further it mixes two domains together, that of
style and that of context, leading to a dilution of the context aspect -
typically only sufficient context (in the form of class tags or
metadata) is applied to a document to meet the requirements of a
specific instance of a style processor, and when it is desired to
re-purpose the content based upon the context, it is often discovered
that insufficient context information exists in the original document.

</tt>

At this point we have not stepped outside the purely semantic realm.

If we now want to apply timing or styling to this, we can use the
contextUse attribute to apply either a visual style or a temporal
behaviour based on the semantic context as I outlined before.

As to the last point, the simple answer is convenience and practicality.
You might with the same justification not define any standard XML syntax
for anything, since XSLT is a completely general mechanism, but what you
suggest would imply processing the XML through XSLT at every timecode
change - the amount of processing power required would be enormous, and
the XSLT horrendous to write.