RE: Narration and Transcription

Gerry Field wrote:

> Description -- additional text or audio providing description of key
visual
> elements of a work, intended primarily as an accessibililty tool for users
> who are blind or visually impaired. Description may be delivered in tight
> synchronization with the work (e.g., in pauses between dialogue), or may
be
> delivered as "extended description", allowing the user to pause the work
and
> receive lengthier descriptive text or audio.

> BTW and FYI, the generic term for this art form is generally agreed to be
> "audio description", which began (and continues) in live theatre, museums,
etc.

> When applied to television broadcast or other media, the generally
accepted
> term is "video description". This is the term used in the US by Congress
and
> the Federal Communications Commission.

FYI:
In the UK the BBC currently transmit a proportion of their programming on
DTT with Description (as audio).
In the UK this is called audio description and is soon to be mandated for
**all** broadcasts on digital terrestrial TV.

Hey you've gotta smile - we seem to be constantly divided by a common
language :-)

regards John Birch

The views and opinions expressed are the author's own and do not necessarily
reflect the views and opinions of Screen Subtitling Systems Limited.