Re: Narration and Transcription

To add to George's definition list, and in response to his subsequent post,
here's a stab at a description definition, below.

While most description is currently delivered to users as an audio element,
there is some interest (and potential benefit) in providing this information
as a text stream as well.

===

Description -- additional text or audio providing description of key visual
elements of a work, intended primarily as an accessibililty tool for users
who are blind or visually impaired. Description may be delivered in tight
synchronization with the work (e.g., in pauses between dialogue), or may be
delivered as "extended description", allowing the user to pause the work and
receive lengthier descriptive text or audio.

===

BTW and FYI, the generic term for this art form is generally agreed to be
"audio description", which began (and continues) in live theatre, museums,
etc.

When applied to television broadcast or other media, the generally accepted
term is "video description". This is the term used in the US by Congress and
the Federal Communications Commission.

Please be aware that "Descriptive Video Service®" and "DVS®" are registered
trademarks of the WGBH Educational Foundation, and as such are properly used
only when referring to WGBH's services and products in this area.

Gerry Field
WGBH-NCAM