	From: Johnb@screen.subtitling.com [mailto:Johnb@screen.subtitling.com]
	Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2003 4:50 AM
	To: Glenn A. Adams
	Cc: public-tt@w3.org
	Subject: 'knife and fork' model

	Glenn,

	GA: Could you explain this "knife and fork" model that you have now referred to a few times? I can guess what you might mean, but I'm would rather you explain.

	Sorry - guilty of using a stock expression that is almost certainly not global......

	By 'knife and fork' model - I mean a mechanism where each tiny piece must be carved out of a whole (knife), picked up and placed where wanted (fork), as a deliberate specified act.

	This is the current model for (non US CC style) subtitling/captioning files. The files read like a script for display activity. All calculations regarding line lengths, layout, impact of font sizes, timing etc - are (or at least should be) performed by the author. There is no concept of user (viewer) override of style. Note: these comments are specific to Non US subtitling/captioning, US CC by its very design nature allows - and anticipates - that the viewer can impose style overrides upon the captions/subtitles.

	Is there a better terminology for this concept?

	I see a spectrum here that ranges from:

	hard layout / style (knife and fork) -> soft style (e.g. US CC) -> rhetorical ontology (user CSS?)

	regards
	John Birch

	The views and opinions expressed are the author's own and do not necessarily
	reflect the views and opinions of Screen Subtitling Systems Limited.