From: Roy T. Fielding [mailto:fielding@gbiv.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2017 12:52 AM
To: Mike O'Neill <michael.oneill@baycloud.com>
Cc: Matthias Schunter (Intel Corporation) <mts-std@schunter.org>; public-tracking@w3.org
Subject: Re: Supporting TPE on sites/subdomains where a user does not have control of the server (ISSUE 15, ISSUE 10)

It is simply impossible for a page owner to state anything about DNT compliance without having the ability to control HTTP responses at the header and resource level. Likewise, placing it in an HTML response means the information will be received after it is useful. At best, it could be farmed by spiders, much like the "owner" link relation that I created back in 1993.

If you want to provide information about the resource owner within an HTML response, then use a link header field with a defined link relation. This can be added without changing TPE. Note, however, this doesn't have any meaningful impact on the protocol because sites don't track using HTML pages.

Personally, I still don't consider the issue to be a relevant concern. The goal is to provide actionable information that is relevant to future requests. HTML metadata rots quickly and is often cut and pasted to unrelated sites.

....Roy