RE: 409 status code

The first-party script might not have anything to do with DNT, maybe just
updating analytics data. PUTs without authentication are possible here. They
could be for example privacy enhancing by allowing complex activity
statistics about unique visitors to be aggregated without sending unique
identifiers (and identifying the user). A non PII collecting clickfraud
detection system could also be possible.

What do you mean by “third party sites”? Would not an XHR to another origin
from a (perhaps externally hosted) JS library be a third-party request?

I assume UAs will just set DNT in an XHR header as long as the general
preference has been set and a general “exception” for the other origin has
not been registered. If the UA or add-on (or compliance scanner) sees a 409
it might take it as a DNT rejection, warning the user or otherwise
registering it. Why should it be necessary to parse the request?

Mike