Re: Timeline for TPE Last Call and Update of Acknowledgements

From: Edward O'Connor <eoconnor@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 11:40:03 -0700
To: public-tracking@w3.org
Hi Mike,

I wrote:

>> To take an extreme example, HTML5's LC period lasted around 9 weeks:
>> it entered Last Call on 25 May and its LC period ended on 3 August
>> (back in 2011).
>>
>> I hope we can all agree that TPE is somewhat less complex than HTML5.

You replied:

> Did HTML5 have as diverse a set of potential public commenters?

Actually yes. But that's entirely irrelevant to how long its LC lasted.

> A more "complex" document for the audience to digest, but when a
> technical spec needs only be reviewed by technologists, 9 weeks seems
> reasonable. When a technical spec that contains lots of policy needs
> to be reviewed by so many different interest groups we should expect
> at least as much opportunity.

We base the length of LC periods on the complexity of the spec. Simpler
or smaller specs get shorter review periods, because it takes less time
for a person to review them. The size or diversity of the reviewer pool
is completely irrelevant, because they review the spec in parallel.

Ted