RE: ISSUE-219 (context separation)

Wouldn't many first parties be able to argue they have user consent (implied or explicit) to do this thus trumping this provision?  If yes, then perhaps this isn't an issue as 1st parties will still be able to use data collected in the 1st party context in a 3rd party context (use only; all collection is still covered by DNT).

- Shane

From: Justin Brookman [mailto:jbrookman@cdt.org]
Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2014 1:05 PM
To: Alan Chapell
Cc: public-tracking@w3.org
Subject: Re: ISSUE-219 (context separation)

I think Walter's language is trying to accomplish what you want.  When he says "the third party must not use data gathered in another context," I think "another context" logically includes all first-party when that party was previously a first party.

Would you prefer to say:

"the third party must not use data gathered in another context, including when it was a first party . . ."?  Or something like that?

You had previously proposed: "Use of this data outside the first party context is tracking and subject to third party rules for tracking, as outlined in Section 5." but I can't tell from the wiki where that sentence was supposed to go.

Since I'm fairly sure you all are trying to accomplish the same thing, I really hope we can merge these options.