Re: Issue-170

HI Rob,

Thanks for furthering the discussion.

My thoughts are based on the following sections of the TPE:

Section 4:

+++++++++++++
If the user's choice is DNT:1 or DNT:0, the tracking preference is enabled; otherwise, the tracking preference is not enabled.
+++++++++++++

Section 5.1:

++++++++++
When enabled, a tracking preference is expressed as either:

DNT	meaning
1	This user prefers not to be tracked on the target site.
0	This user prefers to allow tracking on the target site.

++++++++++

Section 5.2:

++++++++++++++++
A user agent must generate a DNT header field with a field-value that begins with the numeric character "0" (%x30) if the user's tracking preference is enabled and their preference is for DNT:0, or if an exception has been granted for the request target.

++++++++++++++++

The TPE does not require that information be provided to the Origin Server as to how the DNT:0 was set.

Also, it is clear from Section 7.6 of the TPE that limiting use after the reception of a DNT:0 signal, whether or not set by a UGE, was not contemplated:

+++++++++++++++++
Furthermore, the named third party receiving the DNT:0 header acquires at least the right to collect data and process it for the given interaction and any other use unless it receives a DNT:1 header from that particular identified user agent.  (emphasis added.)

The suggested proposal would contradict the neutral position of the DNT:0 signal as written in the TPE and place a new burden on the Origin Server to determine whether the signal was set as a user preference or a UGE.

And even if the server could determine how the DNT:0 was set, the TPE is also clear that after a DNT:0 signal is received by the origin server, even if set through a UGE, the user has given the server the right to “collect data . . . and any other use” until it receives a DNT:1.

Best regards,

Jack

Jack L. Hobaugh Jr
Network Advertising Initiative | Counsel
1620 Eye St. NW, Suite 210 Washington, DC 20006
P: 202-347-5341 | jack@networkadvertising.org

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and intended for the named recipient(s) only. However, it is not intended as legal advice nor should you consider it as such. You should contact a lawyer for any legal advice. If you are not an intended recipient of this email you must not copy, distribute or take any further action in reliance on it and you should delete it and notify the sender immediately.