Re: existing text on ISSUE-151

Hi John,

I've tried to clarify what I believe to be the interpretation of the current editors' draft text on past calls and in past email: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-tracking/2013Nov/0088.html

In short, the current editors' draft text does not mark the feature as optional, so in order for a user agent to fully implement the TPE, that UA would need to implement this JavaScript API. I believe those who would prefer for this feature to be optional for user agent implementers prefer the change proposal (supported by you) that explicitly marks the feature as optional.

That is an entirely separate question from whether a DNT signal can or should be ignored. The TPE says nothing about conditions for ignoring a DNT signal, except to provide a syntax to signal when a server is disregarding a preference. The specs are written with the expectation of voluntary adoption; there is nothing we write that can compel a server to implement the spec for any or all requests or to compel a browser to implement any or all features of the spec.

Hope this helps,
Nick