From: Nicholas Doty [mailto:npdoty@w3.org]
Sent: 02 December 2014 21:36
To: Mike O'Neill
Cc: public-tracking@w3.org; David Singer; Roy T. Fielding; Anne van Kesteren
Subject: Re: Operator Identity

gpg4o
 Unknown Signature from 40203EE90BBAB306 1 2 01 1417556178 9

 Hi Mike,

Thanks for writing this up.

I think we have two different existing mechanisms that are intended to solve this particular use case (of indicating multiple domains that actually belong to the same organization, or party).

P3P defined OUR-HOST:
http://www.w3.org/TR/P3P11/#oho_ex

DNT defines same-party:
http://www.w3.org/2011/tracking-protection/drafts/tracking-dnt.html#rep.same-party

I'm uncertain whether either of those are or are likely to be used. We have identified that there may be some issues with keeping such a list up to date if you're a large organization. And more relevant, sites are unlikely to go to the trouble of indicating their party lists unless they see a concrete advantage to doing so. DNT suggests that that's possible depending on how user agents treat unaffiliated domains that all claim first-party status, for example.

I don't see that we need a third mechanism to solve this problem. Mike, if there is a difference, can you explain why this would be more useful than existing solutions? As you note, it might make more sense to take this to a different deliverable or different WG, but I think the same question will apply.

Thanks,
Nick

P.S. HTML attachments to emails to public-tracking actually do have Web-accessible permalinks, e.g.: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-tracking/2014Dec/att-0000/OperatorIdentity.html

We can also host files on w3.org if necessary, but I think typically it's not necessary, and depends on getting me to commit the files, which is probably an unnecessary roadblock.