Re: Agenda for the Sept 11 call (V01)

On 09/11/2013 11:15 AM, Jeff Jaffe wrote:
> On 9/11/2013 10:41 AM, David Wainberg wrote:
>> Hi Matthias,
>>
>> On 2013-09-05 7:35 AM, Matthias Schunter (Intel Corporation) wrote:
>>> 6. Publication of the current editor's draft as a working draft:
>>> http://www.w3.org/2011/tracking-protection/drafts/tracking-compliance.html
>>>
>>>     I have asked our editors to
>>>         - insert a disclaimer that this is only the current starting
>>> point of our
>>>             discussion and that the text is not consensus of the group.
>>>         - to list the issues currently open
>>>         - Indicating that more issues can be raised until October 02.
>>>    Discussion (you may email before the call, too):
>>>    What are additional concrete changes to the text that are
>>> essential before we publish?
>> In my view, we're not ready to publish this as a Working Draft. There
>> are too many open issues and questions about the process going
>> forward. According to W3C process, publication of a Working Draft is
>> an indication to the world at large that the doc is approaching last
>> call and is ready for broad public review.
>
> According to [1], publication of the First Public Working Draft is
> indeed a signal to the community to begin reviewing the document. It
> does not provide a signal that the doc is approaching last call.
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/tr#first-wd

Here, we're at an even lower bar, because the Compliance Spec is already
in public Working Draft -- the group would be publishing a "Heartbeat"
Working Draft as recommended regularly.

from the Process document:
 Ongoing work: After publication of the First Public Working Draft, the
 Working Group generally revises the technical report (see the Working
 Group "Heartbeat" Requirement) in accordance with its charter.

 In order to make Working Drafts available to a wide audience early in
 their development, the requirements for publication of a Working Draft
 are limited to an agreement by a chartered Working Group to publish
 the technical report and satisfaction of the Team's Publication Rules
 [PUB31]. Consensus is not a prerequisite for approval to publish; the
 Working Group MAY request publication of a Working Draft even if it is
 unstable and does not meet all Working Group requirements.

The current editors' draft [2] has a strong statement at the top that it
does not constitute a group consensus and "does not claim to indicate
any preferred text of the group", but is a step in the work toward
consensus.

[2]
http://www.w3.org/2011/tracking-protection/drafts/tracking-compliance.html

--Wendy

>> I don't think we're there yet. I would ask that we hold on doing this
>> until things settle a bit.
>>
>> Much thanks.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> David

Policy Counsel, World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)
http://wendy.seltzer.org/        +1.617.863.0613 (mobile)