Re: Agenda for the Sept 11 call (V01)

On 2013-09-11 11:15 AM, Jeff Jaffe wrote:
> On 9/11/2013 10:41 AM, David Wainberg wrote:
>> Hi Matthias,
>>
>> On 2013-09-05 7:35 AM, Matthias Schunter (Intel Corporation) wrote:
>>> 6. Publication of the current editor's draft as a working draft:
>>> http://www.w3.org/2011/tracking-protection/drafts/tracking-compliance.html
>>>     I have asked our editors to
>>>         - insert a disclaimer that this is only the current starting
>>> point of our
>>>             discussion and that the text is not consensus of the group.
>>>         - to list the issues currently open
>>>         - Indicating that more issues can be raised until October 02.
>>>    Discussion (you may email before the call, too):
>>>    What are additional concrete changes to the text that are
>>> essential before we publish?
>> In my view, we're not ready to publish this as a Working Draft. There
>> are too many open issues and questions about the process going
>> forward. According to W3C process, publication of a Working Draft is
>> an indication to the world at large that the doc is approaching last
>> call and is ready for broad public review.
>
> According to [1], publication of the First Public Working Draft is
> indeed a signal to the community to begin reviewing the document. It
> does not provide a signal that the doc is approaching last call.
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/tr#first-wd

Thank you, Jeff, for the correction. I think it's still fair to say that
the WD is a /step/ toward Last Call, and an indication of progress in
that direction.

I any case, my opinion remains that the doc is not ready to be published
as a Working Draft. Given that the process and plan going forward, and
the list of open issues, remain nebulous, it would be wrong to signal to
the community that this is sufficiently baked for their review and
comment.  I may feel differently after we complete the poll, finalize
the plan (including which doc to start from or work on), get through the
issue freeze on 10/2, and then a review of open issues vs the current
doc. What's the harm in postponing this discussion until mid October, at
which time I hope and expect we'll be in a better position to make an
assessment of whether publishing a WD is appropriate? Or, why the rush
to publish now?

-David