From: Dobbs, Brooks [mailto:Brooks.Dobbs@kbmg.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 20, 2013 5:07 PM
To: JC Cannon; Justin Brookman; public-tracking@w3.org
Subject: Re: New text Issue 25: Aggregated data: collection and use for audience measurement research

Can I suggest we don't open this particular worms?  Different opt-out regimes may preclude activities specific to each specific regime.  I, for one, am not familiar with every Opt-Out regime.  Similarly, DNT will independently prohibit certain activities per its unique compliance spec.   There may be very significant overlap between what DNT means and what Opt-Out means for many regimes, but I would not expect that to be a perfect overlap.

Is is safer to put this in terms of DNT being a global expression of choice relative to DNTs compliance spec than to imply that that such spec necessarily is a superset of all Opt-Out regimes?  I can already think of cases where the Opt-Out regime goes further than DNT (short term collection and use).

I think we should use care not to conflate Opt-Out with DNT.

-Brooks

--

Brooks Dobbs, CIPP | Chief Privacy Officer | KBM Group | Part of the Wunderman Network
(Tel) 678 580 2683 | (Mob) 678 492 1662 | kbmg.com

[cid:image001.png@01CE259C.077D9680]

This email - including attachments - may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient,
 do not copy, distribute or act on it. Instead, notify the sender immediately and delete the message.