RE: Issue-187

From: Mike O'Neill <michael.oneill@baycloud.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 15:00:44 -0000
To: "'David Singer'" <singer@apple.com>, <mts-std@schunter.org>, <wileys@yahoo-inc.com>
Cc: <public-tracking@w3.org>
Hi David,

I think that wildcards (or regular expressions) for arrayOfDomainStrings
would be useful anyway and does not break the same-origin rule because it
only applies to requests in the context of the first-party.

StoreSiteSpecificException({ arrayOfDomainStrings:
{"exampleone.*,"*.exampletwo.com"},..});

Registers DNT:0 for exampleone.co.uk and any TLD, and any subdomain of
exampletwo.com. This would help to answer many of Shane's use-cases.

I think it would be useful to have the API defined before Last Call because
it does offer functionality that may help get European DPA buy-in for the
TPE. Recital 66 of the ePrivacy directive and the new Regulation's emphasis
on explicit consent both point to more granular specification of
third-parties and the ability to selectively revoke consent.

If the new dictionary member was optional then the default could be the
status-quo:

StoreSiteSpecificException({ arrayOfDomainStrings:
{"exampleone.co.uk","www.exampletwo.com"},..}) would be equivalent to:

StoreSiteSpecificException({ arrayOfDomainStrings: {
"exampleone.co.uk","www.exampletwo.com "}, action: "set-dnt-0",...});

The wildcard functionality may need definition now, but this would solve
other use-cases anyway. The precedence rule would be very simple, just
ignore preceding matches.

Mike