Re: Proposed Resolution to ISSUE-151 : User Agent Requirement: Be able to handle an exception request

From: David Singer <singer@apple.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 17:40:23 -0700
To: "public-tracking@w3.org (public-tracking@w3.org)" <public-tracking@w3.org>

On Mar 18, 2013, at 9:14 , Shane Wiley <wileys@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:

> Matthias,
>
> For a balanced ecosystem with equal rights for publishers and user agents, I believe this should be a MUST.  Otherwise, as we've already begun to see in the real-world, network devices and appendages will begin to set DNT:1 outside of user control and in some cases, knowledge.  I also believe this is highly tied to Issue-143 which attempts to solve for a similar issue.

I think you have two different issues here.  Can other network devices and appendages set DNT:1 without the user's knowledge/desire/consent?  I think we're clear: no; but if we want to tighten this up, we can.

Must user-agents implement the API?  If someone could explain to me the functional difference between:
* user-agent does not implement the exception API
* user-agent does, but the user has told it never to accept an exception

I don't believe that there is any.

I also think that the model that the exception is implemented by the user-agent, but the header comes from their configuration of their proxy/router, works and ought to be OK. Between them, they cover it.

David Singer