Re: ACTION-390: alternative UA affordances for DNT choice

Thanks Ed. As I look through this list, you've clearly demonstrated that
there are user agents that would be unable to disclose DNT functionality as
specified through the proposed UA guidelines.

That said, I'm not sure we're asking the right question here. Its not "are
there UA's that couldn't meet the guidelines?" -- The better question is:
"are consumers better served by a standard that takes steps to ensure that
Users are making an informed choice?"

If we move forward with the proposed UA guidelines, that means certain UA's
(e.g., dog collars, Ifttt, certain music players) won't be able to enact DNT
in a compliant way ­ at least not initially. I don't see that as a bad thing
given that consumers will certainly have other mechanisms where they can
enact a valid DNT. Can you or someone else help me understand why this
creates a poor outcome?

Conversely, if we don't require the UA guidelines, we open the door to all
kinds of UA's enacting DNT in ways that are not understood by most
consumers.

The marketplace will build around the standards that we establish here. Some
of the UA's you cite will figure out a way to meet the guidelines ­ and some
will not. And I think that's a much better outcome than creating a wild west
environment where most UA's can turn on DNT without adhering to generally
accepted privacy standards.