RE: Data append?-transactional?

Jeff,

This is a perfect example of attempting to overuse DNT to solve tangential privacy issues.  A user's decision comes with each and every page request and will be recognized for each of the page responses.  Attempting to stretch DNT to now be recognized outside of this context is inappropriate.  I understand the desire to use this single signal to cover all possible privacy situations but I would continue to recommend we avoid that approach and keep our focus locked in on the original intent of the working group.

- Shane

From: Jeffrey Chester [mailto:jeff@democraticmedia.org]
Sent: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 4:58 AM
To: Shane Wiley
Cc: John Simpson; public-tracking@w3.org (public-tracking@w3.org)
Subject: Re: Data append?-transactional?

Shane:

I don't believe the DNT signal should be considered transactional by First parties.  They should register that preference and operate accordingly. Users won't expect their DNT decisions to be temporal, fleeting, concerns.  The first party server should acknowledge that decision unless it receives a signal otherwise.  All data flow decisions should be adjusted to that choice, unless otherwise instructed by the user.

Jeffrey Chester
Center for Digital Democracy
1621 Connecticut Ave, NW, Suite 550
Washington, DC 20009