Re: ACTION-255: Work on financial reporting text as alternative to legal requirements

Rigo,

On 9/27/12 4:29 AM, Rigo Wenning wrote:
> In some countries, IP addresses are considered personal data. And
> the music industry's success in the pursuit of file sharing
> youngsters via recording of IP addresses rather proofs them right.
>
> Collecting personal data under DNT:1 for long term storage, tracking
> and positive/negative discrimination is against all goals  this
> effort started with. A permitted use would go directly against the
> overall stated goals. This will be hard to explain to the outside
> world.
I think this thread has been about retaining the data for financial
reporting purposes. I don't think anyone claimed that IP addresses
retained for those purposes should be available also for
positive/negative discrimination.

> Now if some country has a law requiring long time storage of IP
> addresses for targeting and filtering of communications, this is
> covered by our provision "law prevails" and does not need a
> permitted use. If it is a contractual obligation, this obligation
> can't be fulfilled in the DNT:1 mode. A provision should be added to
> that contract. Or an exception should be triggered. But I don't see
> any reason for a permitted use here. I also have some slight doubts
> whether the requirements of PCMCP are in line with EU data
> protection rules, but I haven't looked deeply into their rules
> either.
I think the point is that there are legitimate reasons outside of
statutory or regulatory requirements that this data may need to be
retained. And I think those of us coming from the business side have
been very willing to work on reasonable retention and use limits that
can still accommodate those reasons.

There's now been a lot of explanation from people in the online
advertising business about the needs to retain certain data for
financial reporting reasons. It seems we're all agreed that online
advertising should not be prohibited under DNT, so it follows that
certain business needs around online advertising must be allowed for. So
what harms stem from accommodating these business needs? Can you provide
real examples of why the use of such data for financial reporting is a
problem? Perhaps if we really understood specific cases you are
concerned about, it would help us get on the same page about appropriate
limitations.

-David