Re: definition of "unlinkable data" in the Compliance spec

I appreciate thi and agree we need to not talk past each other.  We do need to have the transparency discussion (let's not debate the role of online lead gen in all this now).  As for the harms. let's all agree we disagree.  The disagreement reflects why we had to work on DNT. But I really appreciate your willingness to engage in a discussion of the issues.

Anyway, I hope my colleagues will help with raising additional specifics.  But let's take financial reporting.  And we need to know if these reflect standard body practices and identify the documents.  I would like to start off with a major advertiser use case.  Someone like Pepsi, which works with Yahoo and many others.   I don't expect specifics about Pepsi per se; just what a company expects and requires in terms of financial reporting retention and scope, given its multi-dimensional and long-term campaign objectives.

For such a major Fortune customer, what do they require be recorded, stored and/or shared for financial reporting purposes?  Does Company X require the agency/ad provider to hold specific record(s) demonstrating that an individual/unique user responded to an ad/marketing message or in the aggregate?  What are the specific data required for retention?   How long must the agency/ad provider retain such a record and in what form (i.e. does the content of the record change over time, for how long, and in what ways).  What does the client expect to receive from the ad provider--how detailed a report for their own financial purposes.  Might Company X have its own practices on financial records for ad billing and ad expense purposes which require a specified period, such as 60 days, for such information to be sent for review.   How long does the ad network/provider itself have to retain the specific records and do they change over time, based on industry practices.

Btw, is there a best practices doc out there which can be sent to the list on financial reporting?

I hope we can begin a dialogue and this is just a start.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeffrey Chester
Center for Digital Democracy