From: Grimmelmann, James [mailto:James.Grimmelmann@nyls.edu]
Sent: Friday, September 21, 2012 8:14 AM
To: Lauren Gelman
Cc: Ed Felten; <public-tracking@w3.org>
Subject: Re: definition of "unlinkable data" in the Compliance spec

I really like Lauren's suggestion.  My only concern is that "reasonably" and "reasonable" have so many different meanings in legal settings that it could be ambiguous.  Sometimes an action is "reasonable" if a person who is ethical and cautious would do it: it's not reasonable to leave sharp tools lying around in a children's play area, or to invest a trust fund in marshmallows.  Sometimes it refers to what a rational non-expert would believe about the subject, so a court will uphold a jury verdict unless "no reasonable jury" could have reached the conclusion it did.  Sometimes it's about the norms and expectations of an industry.  An auction might need to be conducted in a "commercially reasonable" way, which means for example giving enough notice that there will be real competitive bidding, but not spending more than the property is worth.

I think this last sense is the most appropriate one in context.  So perhaps something like "data that cannot be associated with an identifiable person or user agent through commercially reasonable means."  That is, the question would be whether a normal business with normal resources and motivations would consider reidentifying the data to be feasible.

James

James Grimmelmann              Professor of Law
New York Law School                 (212) 431-2864
185 West Broadway       james.grimmelmann@nyls.edu<mailto:james.grimmelmann@nyls.edu>
New York, NY 10013    http://james.grimmelmann.net