Re: action-241: Propose changes regarding issue-116 (and also "general preference?")

On Sep 18, 2012, at 1:23 , Rigo Wenning <rigo@w3.org> wrote:

> On Monday 17 September 2012 14:13:22 David Singer wrote:
>> I dealt with most of this issue by requiring that exceptions are
>> granted in their entirety or not at all.
>
> This creates a conflict with pre-existing preferences (web-wide).

Why?

I think if you read the spec., it's clear what header gets sent.

> We
> either need a rule to override them (1) or we need a means for the
> site to respect them(2).
>
> (1) I would suggest to follow the more than thousand year old rule
> that the specific trumps the general (roman rule). Means a site-wide
> exception or DNT:1 would trump all web-wide preferences. This is a
> very simple rule for Browsers.

Exceptions trump general preference, in general.  There is no 'reverse exception' at the moment, so if the site has either a web-wide exception, or a site exception under the current site, they dnt:0, else they get the general preference.

> (2) Allow the first party to access site-wide information so that
> she can respect the preferences and not send info to a given third
> party that gets a DNT:1 This is more friendly to Shane's use case.

We could have an API that allows finding all granted exceptions for the current site, sure.

David Singer