Re: ISSUE-5: definition of tracking

On Sep 5, 2012, at 11:47 AM, Dobbs, Brooks wrote:

> Do we think that most users would interpret "websites" to mean only 3rd
> parties or might a reasonable person also think it meant that a 1st party
> e.g. medical/political/dating/younameit site might not "track" my UID
> (cookie, IP, whatever) as having visited?

That is why the second half of my message, in

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-tracking/2012Sep/0009.html

specifically adds "by third parties" to the UA config.

The confusion already exists.  I don't want to require a specific
user interface, but we do need to have common understanding of the
meaning so that we can tell when the meaning is not being upheld
and informed by the user agent.  In HTTP, the semantics of a
header field are just as critical as the syntax.

....Roy