Re: ACTION-212: Draft text on how user agents must obtain consent to turn on a DNT signal

Chris,

I hope you do not argue for making granting an exception as difficult
as enabling DNT in the Chrome (Alpha!) implementation (And I'm sure
they will do better over time, so this is not a political statement
on Chrome). This "are you sure?" - "are you really sure?" - "are you
really really sure? " would also apply to the exception granting. We
can't have two definitions of consent (one to enable DNT and one to
grant an exception). So it always cuts two ways.

As I want to safe my global considerations work and make it future
proof, I would rather bet on easy consent than on difficult DNT
enabling. But this remains my personal preference. I hope others
will join me in saying that we need a good consent mechanism and not
stand in the user's way with complex and burdensome dialogs for DNT
or exceptions.

Rigo