Re: ACTION-212: Draft text on how user agents must obtain consent to turn on a DNT signal

Thanks Shane. I've proposed some additions (IN BOLD) to your language.
Thanks to David Wainberg for help drafting, and Walter for providing some
direction with his comments to the list.

Section 5.  User Agent Compliance

A user agent must offer a control to express a tracking preference to third
parties. The control must communicate the user's preference in accordance
with the [TRACKING-DNT] recommendation and otherwise comply with that
recommendation. A user agent must not express a tracking preference for a
user unless the user has given express and informed consent to indicate a
tracking preference.

A UA MUST incorporate detection mechanisms for alteration of DNT-preferences
by third-party software (including third-party UA-extensions and plugins)
and MUST upon detection of such changes verify with the user that they
reflect the user's intentions. The UA MAY provide the user with the option
to ignore future changes in the DNT-preferences or to automatically change
them back to a user-set preference.

"The User Agent MUST make available explanatory text to provide more
detailed information about DNT functionality within easy and direct access
for the particular environment prior to DNT being enabled. The explanatory
text MUST include information pertaining to the effects of DNT, including
that the User's choice to enact DNT might interfere with the operation of
certain content and services and might limit free content that may be
available to the User."

Alan