Re: Proposals for Compliance issue clean up

On 11/12/12 2:00 PM, David Wainberg wrote:

>> For pragmatic reasons I am willing to go along with the 1st/3rd party
>> distinction. That will not prevent me or others from pointing out where
>> its consequences become unworkable. Redirects are just one example of
>> that.
>
> What do you mean about pragmatic reasons? It keeps sounding like
> advocates in this group are willing to do away with 3rd party companies,

Not at all. As far as I am concerned 1st party companies should honour
DNT:1 as well. Moreover, I am very much in favour of silos, meaning that
a 1st party should refrain from using data collected in its 1st party
quality in its 3rd party quality. Or to merge them. Because to give an
example, Google providing analytics data for a 1st party player should
not collate that data with analytics data from another 1st party site.

Without such Chinese walls (if you're still allowed to use that term),
DNT becomes meaningless. And like you said yourself, it would preclude a
level field in the advertisement sector.

Regards,

 Walter