Re: ISSUE-187 - some thoughts on using javascript

Mike,

You are losing me on the expiry argument.  Aren't we attaching a
subjective value to a consumer's choice by saying that a choice to allow
something should be subject to an expiry, whereas the choice to deny
something should not?  Given that both conditions are subject to the same
choice requirement (IE10 notwithstanding), why would one choice be less
equal (deserving of less protection) than the other?  Isn't this just
another way of saying, "I know you SAID you'd allow this, but trust me (I
know better than you) you didn't really mean it, so I'll force you to
rethink it after some period of time".

I've always thought that the more specific a choice is, the more it
deserves protection?

Respecting a choice isn't always about agreeing with the choice right?  I
seem to remember Chitika running into some hot water with the FTC when it
choose to intentionally limit a choice to 10 days.  I don't think the
decision was based around what the choice was; it was based on the notion
that Chitika understood what consumers had asked for and intentionally
shortened that choice's applicability.  It would seem that the same thing
is proposed here!

-Brooks

--

Brooks Dobbs, CIPP | Chief Privacy Officer | KBM Group | Part of the
Wunderman Network

This email ­ including attachments ­ may contain confidential information.
If you are not the intended recipient,
 do not copy, distribute or act on it. Instead, notify the sender
immediately and delete the message.