Re: ISSUE-187 - some thoughts on using javascript

I think you are both right, but talking past one another.

What we effectively have now is a javascript API that sets a
special named cookie that has no expiration date and a
separate management interface.  That can be accomplished via a
header field instead of (or in addition to) javascript, and there
are reasons to do so that mirror the Set-Cookie abilities.
For example, the server could send

   Set-DNT: 0

to set an exception for its own domain, and perhaps include a list
of domains for the other cases.  This works because we are now
assuming that the server has performed the UI bit and the browser
does not have a meaningful error case (either it sets the flag
or it doesn't, and we won't know until the next applicable request).

Now, I look at that and wonder why we don't just use a standard
cookie name and be done, as I suggested in Santa Clara.

   Set-Cookie: _dnt_="0"

If we did, then a UGE request would be something like

   DNT: 1
   Cookie: _dnt_="0"

In other words, the DNT field would always reflect the global setting
and the cookie would override for the sake of exception/permissions.
If the cookie is deleted then it would have the same effect as the
user deciding to clear all exceptions.  We could also define a
special API for requesting that specific cookie be set for
third-party domains, and UAs that want to implement DNT exceptions
can apply special UIs to their management that would avoid the
regular reset actions.

....Roy