Re: Call for feedback on hybrid URI/header proposal

Hi Matthias,

currently, the URI/header proposal is just a URI proposal. It says the
server MUST provide a tracking status resource  at teh well-known
identifier.

I suggest to replace that by:

"An origin server MUST provide a tracking status resource either by a header
or at the well-known location. This status is considered to be a matching
response to the DNT header field sent with the HTTP Request."

Complex sites may want to provide header responses only. Mandating a well-
known location is harmful to that. There MUST be a possibility to have
header-only solutions.

This also has repercussions on 5.3.1.

We MAY want to include the expression semantics of the WKL into the header,
but I don't care too much about that, because I believe the WKL contains way
too many semantics anyway. So I don't mind not to extend 5.3.1. But we have
to add a sentence to say:

"If the origin server does not provide a response to the DNT header field at
the well-known location, it MUST provide a response header as specified
below"

Rationale: We need a response header for the EU consent mechanism and for
the legal hooks for enforcement. This needs a response that is a valid
commitment. But the current proposal for tracking-status at the well-known
location just looks like a bare carcass of something resembling very much to
P3P. I don't mind as long as the initial technology of header responses
remains. But turning the WKL into the one and only mechanism for responses
is a no-no for me.

Best,

Rigo