Re: Actions 183 and 176 (which seem to be the same)

I *thought* the consensus in DC was that we would explore having two calls; that a web-wide exception for a third party would be a separate call.  But the action seems to be telling me that the consensus was something else.  Am I mis-reading the action?

On May 6, 2012, at 3:50 , Nicholas Doty wrote:

> Sorry for my confusion, I thought the conclusion of our breakout session in DC was agreement that we should enforce origin restrictions with these calls -- that only the first party can request exceptions on its sites and Web-wide exceptions for a third party can only be requested on that party's origin (in an embedded iframe, for example). Do we want to allow, for example, Analytics.com to request a site-wide or site-specific exception when its script or iframe is embedded on News.com?
>
> It would be good for us to document that answer either way, and if we don't intend to allow such requests (what I thought had been consensus in DC) then we can ignore the tricky questions you identify below.
>
> Thanks,
> Nick
>
> On May 4, 2012, at 7:44 AM, David Singer wrote:
>
>> These actions ask that the API be clarified such that a Javascript executing
>>
>> requestSiteSpecificTrackingException( <DOMstrings>, <callback>, [<sitename>], [< explanationString>], [<detailURI>] )
>>
>> be clarified that it is permitted that third parties as well as first parties can make this request.
>>
>> However, this is not as simple as it looks.  This API asks for an exception for the site-pairs (using the notation first-party/third-party):
>>
>> script-origin/DOMstring
>> script-origin/DOMstring
>>
>> i.e. the first half of the pair is implied by the script-origin and assumed to be the 1st party.
>>
>> If a third-party were to call it, it would have to take the form
>>
>> DOMstring/script-origin
>>
>> I could certainly write that text, but this presumes that both the sites and the user-agents can reliably determine which sites have first-party status, and which have third-party status.  Unfortunately, all the definitions currently use 'judgment calls' (e.g. knowing which sites the user has knowingly and meaningfully interacted with).
>>
>> However, this assumption underlies the checking of the accumulated database;  do I send DNT:0 or DNT:1 to a host?  Well, gather the 1st party:
>> * if the host is equal to the 1st party, send the appropriate signal
>> * otherwise, form the pair 1st-party/host-domain and see whether it matches one entry in the database
>> -- if it does, send DNT:0, else send DNT:1
>>
>> Since we currently have this assumption, I suggest we add the following to 6.4.2 of the TPE spec.
>>
>> * * * *
>>
>> The execution of this API and the use of the resulting permission (if granted) use two 'implicit' parameters: when the API is called, the domain of the origin of the script (script-origin), and the domain of the top-level browsing context (tld-domain).
>>
>> When the API is called, if script-origin is equal to tld-domain, and permission is granted, then the set of tuples
>>
>> script-origin/DOMstring (once per DOMstring)
>>
>> is added to the database of remembered permissions.  Otherwise the single tuple
>>
>> DOMstring/script-origin

> [...]

David Singer