Re: ACTION-152 - Write up logged-in-means-out-of-band-consent

There are several levels to disconnecting yourself from a service:

1 logout;
2 uncheck the 'remember me' so that your identity is no longer remembered;
3 delete cookies etc. just in case there is a lingering cookie that still remembers you;
[4 start using TOR :-(]
[5 go off-the-net :-(]

I actually have experimented with myself, trying to do up to (1), (2) or (3), and I found it a pain in the neck. So, as Shane says, let's focus on 'consent'.

The model I am exploring is saying that the consent to being tracked when logged-in or remembered needs to be a distinct, separate, choice for the user - which, as you say, gives the user more flexibility.  In this model, that consent cannot be simply "well, you agreed to our policy and here it is on page 8", because that's (a) hard to find for most users and (b) IMHO, insufficiently granular; it basically says you have to stop using the service if you don't want 'social buttons' to track you, which is harsh (and for many users, not a meaningful choice).

As I say, I am not terribly keen on the rather subtle option "yes, you can know who I am and tell me about my friends, but no, you cannot track what I am doing (and hence, not tell my friends about it)" -- I fear it's rather subtle, but it seems to be what JC prefers. I don't see a problem with offering it as an option such as "Identify me and tell me relevant info, but don't record anything about me".

so, here is a strawman:

“User registration and login often are bundled with a set of preferences for the user.  If a preference directly address interactions with users off of the 1st parties direct web site, such as through Widgets or other interactions with a user in a logged-in or 'remembered' state, in an open and transparent manner, then this is considered an out-of-band user consent and DNT requests may be met with a response that consent has been given, and tracking to the extent expressed by the preference performed.”

On Mar 28, 2012, at 8:30 , JC Cannon wrote:

> I’m more inclined to agree with Shane here. I always want to vote on the side of greater flexibility for the consumer.
>
> David, by following your model I would have to click on the Like button to determine if my friends Liked an article, at the same time permitting FB to track me, which is what I don’t want. Show me how in your model I can have the level of flexibility and privacy I describe.
>
> JC

David Singer