Re: Documentation of the updated decision process of the DNT WG

On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 11:59 AM, Rigo Wenning <rigo@w3.org> wrote:

> Ian, Sean,
>
> do you have a specific issue in mind that you're concerned the chairs will
> rush to close without asking your opinion? Or is it the theoretic
> possibility
> to close an issue if there is no contribution that raises your concern?

I am certainly concerned about the latter, which does not preclude concerns
about the former.

> If it is the former, I'm sure the Chairs are ready to address this issue.
> If
> it is the latter, as W3C Legal counsel, I'm happy to take that discussion
> offline with you to explain options and re-assure you that the W3C Process
> is
> fair and balanced and will not force you into things that you don't want.

Rigo,

I certainly thought I understood W3C process having been involved with W3C
in various forms for the past 6 years. This is the first time I've seen
such a process proposed, especially outside of a chartering process, and I
do not think it is a positive change nor is it one I would support. I
understand quite well the obligations of members (or lack thereof) when it
comes to implementation, but I think there's an elephant in the room in
that there is a lot of outside interest in this document and process that
adds significantly more pressure than would normally be the case with a W3C
recommendation, hence I think it's all the more important that issues are
well documented and understood, regardless of whether there is a clear
resolution that is proposed at a given point in time.