Re: [ISSUE-5] What is the definition of tracking?

Kevin,

On Wednesday 07 March 2012 10:17:15 Kevin Smith wrote:
> I have a request.  To me, 'collection' is synonymous to 'retention' and I
> automatically translate the 1st into the latter.  From a lot of responses
> over the last few months (not necessarily on this thread), I think many
> others have a hard time separating these two terms as well.  However,
> usually when Jonathon uses the term 'collection' he is not referring to
> 'retention', but rather the actual request that goes over the wire, and I
> quickly get confused.  Jonathon, any chance you can use a different word
> (transmission perhaps) to refer to the request?

IMHO, this is a vital distinction to preserve DNT's ability to gain global
acceptance. Nearly all data protection regimes that I know of distinguish
between collection and retention.

That doesn't mean that all collection is harmful. It just means that many
people distinguish. I also called for it in an earlier email.

Rigo