Re: Third parties should not pretend to be first parties

There is already an entire section of the compliance spec on this exact issue --- 4.4.2 Exception for Outsourcing.  Is there any reason that exception does not address everyone's concerns, rather than resorting to the fiction that service providers are the same entity as the first party (despite an earlier definition of party that says otherwise)?

If the current exception for outsourcing is not sufficient, I would suggest just revising that to address the problem instead of torturing the definition of "party."
  _____

From: Joanne Furtsch [mailto:jfurtsch@truste.com]
To: Shane Wiley [mailto:wileys@yahoo-inc.com], Roy T. Fielding [mailto:fielding@gbiv.com], Jonathan Mayer [mailto:jmayer@stanford.edu]
Cc: Tom Lowenthal [mailto:tom@mozilla.com], public-tracking@w3.org [mailto:public-tracking@w3.org]
Sent: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 22:24:07 -0500
Subject: Re: Third parties should not pretend to be first parties

Agree Service Provider should be defined since they would show up as a
  third party but are acting on behalf of a first party in essence making
  them a first party. It is a special category of third party.  Here is a
  proposed Service Provider definition as a starting point.

  "Service Provider" is anyone other than the First Party that performs, or
  assists in the performance of a function or activity that may involve the
  collection, use, and disclosure of data. Such use must only be on behalf
  and at the instruction of the First Party, and only for the purpose of
  performing or assisting in that specific function or activity as agreed to
  by the First Party.