Re: Frequency Capping

From: Peter Eckersley <peter.eckersley@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 19:53:01 -0700
To: Chris Mejia <chris.mejia@iab.net>
On 11 July 2012 18:42, Chris Mejia <chris.mejia@iab.net> wrote:

> From privacy groups' perspective, there cannot be a Do Not Track standard
> that allows unique IDs for frequency capping of non-consenting users.
>

>  Why not?  What's your justification?  Please cite real examples of how
> f-capping has negatively affected any consumer's privacy.  Do you have
> research to share?

Our reasons for insisting that unique ID cookies must never be used under a
Do Not Track standard have been discussed many times on this list and in
F2Fs.  There are many, but the deepest is that unique IDs (whether for
f-capping or any other purpose) make it impossible to remotely test
compliance with the standard.  And yes, in previous posts I shared some
Panopticlick data on why the situation is somewhat better once the unique
IDs are gone.

--
Peter