From: Chris Mejia [mailto:chris.mejia@iab.net]
Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2012 9:22 PM
To: Craig Spiezle; 'Tamir Israel'
Brendan Riordan-Butterworth
Subject: Re: Frequency Capping

First, I give MSFT the benefit of any market doubts- I don't think they are
in the game to lose- or at least not lose more market share than they have
already.  IE 10 represents a major upgrade (as compared with the most recent
previous versions), as it's tightly coupled with the long anticipated
Windows 8.  What's unique about Windows 8 is that its a SINGLE OS that's
designed to work across multiple devices: personal computers, phones,
tablets, and smart televisions.  Accordingly, IE 10 will be installed with
installations of Windows 8, on ALL those devices that run Windows 8 (as
opposed to previous versions of IE that were largely only installed on PCs).
>From Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_8):

According to the Windows Design Team, Windows 8 has been "reimagined from
the chipset to the user experience,"
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_8#cite_note-5> [6] whereas Windows 7
was intended to be a more focused, incremental upgrade to the Windows line.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_8#cite_note-6> [7] Windows 8 features
a new user interface based on Microsoft's
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metro_(design_language)> Metro design
language, similar to that in  <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Phone>
Windows Phone. The new interface is designed to better suit
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touchscreen> touchscreen input, along with
traditional mouse and keyboard input. A version of Windows 8, called
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_RT> Windows RT, also adds support for
the  <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_architecture> ARM processor
architecture in addition to the previously supported x86 microprocessors
from  <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel> Intel,
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Micro_Devices> AMD and
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Via_Technologies> VIA.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_8#cite_note-7> [8]

30% (+/-) is a number that many have predicted, based on Microsoft's current
installed base of IE- it's a forward looking number (see graphic below or:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Usage_share_of_web_browsers_(Source_StatCo
unter).svg).  Loyal IE users will eventually upgrade to IE 10, especially as
MSFT will eventually   stop supporting previous versions.  My educated bet
is that MSFT will continue at or around 30% of the browser market, so long
as browsers are even relevant for accessing content.

Usage_share_of_web_browsers_(Source_StatCounter).svg.png

Chris Mejia | Digital Supply Chain Solutions | Ad Technology Group |
Interactive Advertising Bureau - IAB | chris.mejia@iab.net |w 212-380-4711 |
c 347-949-8279 | Skype christopheramejia | AIM oskibearchris | Twitter
@oskibearchris | LinkedIn http://www.linkedin.com/in/chrismejia