Re: Frequency Capping

I meant the phrase "attenuated threat model" to be reassuring, not accusatory.  Let me say a bit more, and hopefully it will be genuinely reassuring.

What I was trying to emphasize is that frequency counting as described in Brian O'Kelley's comment REDUCES privacy concerns compared with tracking browsing history.  Someone who was going to do something privacy violating -- e.g. leak to the Washington Post a list of some of the websites I visit -- will have a much harder time starting from frequency counts than from a browsing history.  The "threat model" of how frequency counts could be used against me is "attenuated" compared with the threats from browsing history.  There is less to worry about.

At the same time, frequency counts do still store some information that is unique to the user and that is related to the user's browsing history.  If a given ad only runs on sites A, B, and C, and the user has seen that ad, then the user has visited one or more of sites A, B, or C.  Someone with access to the provider's information about campaigns could use that, plus a given user's frequency counts, to make educated guesses about the user's browsing history.  The guesses might be better, or might be worse, depending on how narrowly or broadly the ads seen by the user were displayed.  But they will be better than random because the guesser has access to some information about the user's activity.  How much better depends a lot on the details.

Thus, the possible privacy implications are "attenuated" compared to a full-tracking baseline, but they don't disappear entirely.  Some users may care more and some may care less about it.

James

James Grimmelmann              Professor of Law
New York Law School                 (212) 431-2864
185 West Broadway       james.grimmelmann@nyls.edu<mailto:james.grimmelmann@nyls.edu>
New York, NY 10013    http://james.grimmelmann.net