Re: Action 93

Hi Alan,

My apologies for chiming in -- I'm coming to this process quite late.
Feel free to ignore if the point I'm raising merely rehashes comments
that have already been  made, or is off point in some other respect.

My concern with deference to domestic standards in this context is it
will make it very difficult for Internet companies to develop multiple
notification criteria for the various jurisdictions they're going to be
active in. The most likely outcome would be either the inconsistency in
application of these standards or, worse, convergence on the lowest
common denominator. This won't help the legitimacy and adoption of a W3C
standard abroad, I suspect.

Certainly in Canada, direct notification (beyond notice buried in a
privacy statement) would appear to be a minimal requirement for
compliance with the online tracking guidelines our privacy commissioner
issued not too long ago. I paste these here in part for your consideration:

While obtaining consent in the online environment is not without its
challenges, it is possible. Opt-out consent for online behavioural
advertising could be considered reasonable providing that:

  * Individuals are made aware of the purposes for the practice in a
    manner that is clear and understandable -- the purposes must be made
    obvious and cannot be buried in a privacy policy. Organizations
    should be transparent about their practices and consider how to
    effectively inform individuals of their online behavioural
    advertising practices, by using a variety of communication methods,
    such as online banners, layered approaches, and interactive tools;
  * Individuals are informed of these purposes at or before the time of
    collection and  provided with information about the various parties
    involved in online behavioural advertising;
  * Individuals are able to easily opt-out of the practice - ideally at
    or before the time the information is collected;
  * The opt-out takes effect immediately and is persistent;
  * The information collected and used is limited, to the extent
    practicable, to non-sensitive information (avoiding sensitive
    information such as medical or health information); and
  * Information collected and used is destroyed as soon as possible or
    effectively de-identified.

http://www.priv.gc.ca/information/guide/2011/gl_ba_1112_e.cfm

Thanks and best regards,

Tamir Israel
Staff Lawyer

Samuelson-Glushko Canadian Internet Policy & Public Interest Clinic (CIPPIC)
University of Ottawa, Faculty of Law, CML
57 Louis Pasteur Street
Ottawa, ON, K1N 6N5
Tel: (613) 562-5800 ext. 2914
Fax: (613) 562-5417