Re: ACTION 124

Taking this back to yesterday:

I'd like to explore this a bit more, because I think I agree with Nick
on this point -- and I question whether the proposed definition
reduces subjectivity overall.

Let's first assume for purposes of this email that less subjectivity
in the definition is better.  Nick is right that "clear to consumers"
cannot be entirely pinned down, there will be a gray area, so this
reproduces the claimed problem with the short-and-sweet
> A "first party" is any party, in a specific network interaction,
> that can infer with high probability that the user knowingly and
> intentionally communicated with it. Otherwise, a party is a third
> party.

Moreover, other language in the proposed definition also creates gray
areas, e.g. "reasonable efforts to disclose, in a manner easily
discoverable by Users"; "the power to exercise a controlling influence."

I do not know if the group thinks that "reasonable" is "objective" or
"subjective," but I'd argue that it adds grayness.  If it doesn't,
then is this better than the version John quoted?

> A "first party" is any party, in a specific network interaction,
> that can [reasonably] infer with high probability that the user
> knowingly and intentionally communicated with it. Otherwise, a party
> is a third party.

A related issue is:  "Clear to consumers" or "reasonable efforts to
disclose. in a manner easily discoverable by users" -- from whose
PoV?  It doesn't make sense to look at "clear to consumers" or "easily
discoverable by Users" from the website's perspective.

It may be that the real issue with the proposed definition is not
subjectivity but meaning.  E.g., I'm concerned that "interacts" in
this sentence,

>> A First Party also includes the owner of a widget, search box or
>> similar service with which a consumer interacts

loses the notion of "meaningful interaction" that we discussed in the
context of mouse-overs, invisible elements, etc., i.e., the user isn't
even aware of the interaction.

Thanks,
Lee