RE: ACTION-110: Write proposal text for what it means to "not track" (ISSUE-119)

I don't recall the discussion in Brussels on the necessity of this text - and I am trying to understand what place it would have in the specification.  Would there be a separate response header for such sites?  Even if that was this case, how could that response header, or a W3C standards document, possibly be more discoverable than "an unread privacy policy" on the site itself?  I don't understand why the site cannot simply claim - in a prominent location as they wish - that they do not collect any data whatsoever.  I personally think that Duck, Duck Go<http://duckduckgo.com/> does a great job of this in their UI (although for the record, I do not like herpes).

From: John Simpson [mailto:john@consumerwatchdog.org]
Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2012 10:21 AM
To: Aleecia M. McDonald
Cc: (public-tracking@w3.org)
Subject: Re: ACTION-110: Write proposal text for what it means to "not track" (ISSUE-119)

Perhaps:

"Exceeds the compliance standard and does not collect and retain any data."

On Feb 15, 2012, at 11:48 PM, Aleecia M. McDonald wrote:

To the best of my recollection there was no objection to this issue when we agreed to take it up in Belgium. I think we are having word choice difficulty, plus have lost sight of the point of the issue. The use case, as I understood it from Tom, was for the sites like Duck, Duck, Go that will not implement DNT because they are afraid their users will think they do all of the various things allowed under DNT. It was not to create some new hurdle companies should do, but rather to give those (few, for commercial sites, I expect) who already follow the practices Ninja a way to make that clear to their users, beyond an un-read privacy policy. Otherwise, we will continue to have the odd situation that the most privacy-protective sites do not want to adopt DNT for fear it will scare their users away.

Bottom line: can someone suggest a better label for this than "absolutely not tracking"?

            Aleecia