Re: ACTION-110: Write proposal text for what it means to "not track" (ISSUE-119)

Hi Roy,

On Feb 13, 2012, at 12:49 PM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> Please be aware that this would require Apache httpd to respond
> that it is always tracking, by default, regardless of how the
> underlying services are implemented.  Likewise for Squid, TrafficServer,
> haproxy, and all other HTTP servers that I am aware of.
>
> If we can't find a definition that allows HTTP access logs and normal
> retention for fraud control, then let's give up.  I will not implement
> DNT if it can be used as a bypass for fraud and security controls.

As I believe Ninja noted, this is *not* intended as a set of requirements for compliance with a DNT header, just a meaningful and entirely optional description that a site can use if it absolutely isn't tracking.

If there is an alternate definition that could accommodate common httpd configurations and still communicate to the user that to a more complete level no tracking is occurring, it would be great to see that option.

Thanks,
Nick