Re: Deciding Exceptions (ISSUE-23, ISSUE-24, ISSUE-25, ISSUE-31, ISSUE-34, ISSUE-49)

An opt-out cookie should be a low-entropy (non ID, non trackable) cookie,
so it's fine to set that in response to DNT:1.

If someone implemented or specified "opt-out" cookies that were also
tracking cookies, that was an anti-privacy design decision.  The user
should be explicitly opting-back-in to tracking before receiving those
cookies.

An example of this might be a company that wanted "opt out" to mean "opt
out from behavioral targeting", not "opt out from being tracked".  There
may be a quid-quo-pro to be had, of the form: "make yourself easier for us
to track, in exchange for us not showing you a particular kind of
advertising".  That's fine, but that needs to be something a DNT:1 user is
opting-back-in to.

--
Peter