Re: Deciding Exceptions (ISSUE-23, ISSUE-24, ISSUE-25, ISSUE-31, ISSUE-34, ISSUE-49)

Hi Rigo -

My thoughts below [in parenthesis]

Alan

On 2/8/12 9:05 AM, "Rigo Wenning" <rigo@w3.org> wrote:

>Alan,
>
>while your argumentation may be compelling within undeclared neutral
>grounds,
>it isn't as convincing after the user has expressed the clear will to not
>be
>tracked/recorded/followed/profiled/classified/targeted.

[We should put a pin in this part of the discussion - but I'm glad that
we're on the same page regarding the User's clear expression not to back
tracked (as eventually defined). I hope that ultimately, we can push to
ensure that our output documents reflect our focus on such clear
expression of intent.]

> And this user has
>received a response saying: "We honor your expressed preference". If this
>acceptance now means: "We except with our fingers crossed behind our
>backs and
>will take advantage of an exception to have you
>tracked/recorded/followed/profiled/classified/targeted" then the average
>user
>will find that a bit confusing. An exception isn't an exception anymore
>if it
>is the default IMHO.

[Recognizing that email doesn't always show the full color of what one is
trying to express, I'm a bit concerned with the implication that industry
will appear to agree to these standards but only with our fingers crossed
behind our backs. That said, I'm reminded of an old saying during the U.S.
/ U.S.S.R. Cold War under the Ronald Reagan years --- "Trust, but verify."
And if we're going to adopt that as our mantra (explicitly or implicitly),
I ask that we do so consistently.]

>If we accept that the exceptions we are discussing in a DNT=1 scenario
>are
>still exceptions, than those exceptions derive from the general rule: not
>tracking. And it is the nature of exceptions that they have to be
>justified as
>a departure from the general rule. And they have to be interpreted in a
>narrow
>way. Because otherwise, they aren't exceptions anymore but a change to
>the
>general rule. A change to the general rule would mean here that DNT=1
>means
>DNT=unset which in turn would make all our efforts pretty futile. And I
>wouldn't want Shane to go through his excellent list of things a company
>must
>do for DNT compliance without any need to just have a fig leaf for
>further
>collection.
>
>So I'm sorry to say that the burden of argumentation in a DNT=1 scenario
>is
>with those claiming the exception and wanting to collect and use data.
>Sean
>and Shane have done a good job on why they want the data. I tried to
>explain
>we shouldn't collect that data (arguments to be improved). Ninja and Roy
>hinted at a solution by retention limitation and Jonathan hinted at a
>client
>side solution. I would rather like to discuss those concrete solutions
>than
>fundamentally question the exercise we are doing.

[I think we agree here. But hinting at a potential solution is not the
same as providing demonstrable proof that such a solution is an
Internet-wide solution. I'm merely suggesting that it is not only fair -
but more productive - that we err more towards demonstrable proof. And
that the scope of such proof extend beyond the large companies and into
the long tail.]