Re: ACTION-114 ISSUE-107 : Revised response header.

Hi Tom,

I've reviewed the revised response header extensively with my teams
internally and it does indeed seem entirely manageable from the perspective
of large servers as well as publisher operations teams, which is exciting.

I do however want to mention one thing related to site-specific
exemptions. I am not clear on this point, but want to make sure that
adherence to site-specific exemptions by a server is optional.

In particular, I want to make sure that, given that the server should be
able to understand what the user's default DNT value is regardless of
whether or not a site-specific exemption is in effect.

The concern is that some systems may wish to respect a DNT header being on
(in part) by setting an opt-out cookie. This opt-out cookie would mean that
site-specific exemptions will be ignored and the user will be treated as
DNT=on in all cases. This is practically easier in some cases, and we would
want this to at least be an option for a server when faced with an array of
DNT states.

In your view is this currently the case in the revised header spec, and
does anyone have any objections to this?

sean

--
Sean Harvey
Business Product Manager