From: Chris Pedigo <CPedigo@online-publishers.org<mailto:CPedigo@online-publishers.org>>
Date: Friday, December 7, 2012 5:56 AM
To: Peter Swire <peter@peterswire.net<mailto:peter@peterswire.net>>, "public-tracking@w3.org<mailto:public-tracking@w3.org>" <public-tracking@w3.org<mailto:public-tracking@w3.org>>
Subject: RE: Request for comments on priorities for DNT

Here are the priorities for the Online Publishers Association:

1)             Consistent with the FTC’s framework as laid out it in its 2012 report, DNT should reflect the unique relationship that consumers have with first parties.  Consumers have choices about where they can find content of interest to them and they do choose to visit these sites.  DNT should not limit first party data collection or use.  DNT could be a useful tool in providing consumers with choice with regard to third party data collection.  Similarly, DNT should be consistent with the FTC’s guidance that certain commonly accepted practices do not need to be subject to a choice mechanism.

2)             DNT should not be overly prescriptive in describing the methods of restricting third party data collection.  Any voluntary standard must allow for different ways to achieve compliance and for companies to develop new privacy-friendly methods that minimize data collection or improve privacy protections.

3)             This working group should seek to build on successful self-regulatory efforts.  Most companies have already taken voluntary efforts to limit data collection and use.  Companies that are compliant with self-regulatory efforts are unlikely to abandon these privacy-friendly practices in favor of a DNT standard that includes contradictory terms, definitions and scope.  Building a DNT standard that is complimentary to self-regulatory efforts is the clearest path to wide-spread adoption of DNT.

Chris Pedigo
VP, Government Affairs
Online Publishers Association
(202) 744-2967