Re: Request for comments on priorities for DNT

I support the objectives of providing consumers with enhanced
transparency and choice with respect to the collection and use of
information, as well as the promotion of responsible practices by
companies. But I have a couple of observations regarding the DNT policy
debate thus far, and a suggestion for moving forward.

First, competition. DNT policy should not pick winners and losers in a
highly competitive and dynamic marketplace. It should not alter the
competitive landscape, create barriers to entry, or provide additional
competitive advantages for a small number of dominant players. The
policy currently under discussion risks creating the wrong incentives,
resulting in less competition, fewer players who control online content
and services, and ultimately minimal net benefit for privacy.

Second, participation. Policies -- particularly self-regulatory,
voluntary standards -- are most successful when there is full
participation and buy-in from the actors to be most affected. This leads
to wide-scale adoption and successful implementation, which then
provides benefits to everyone. Currently, it does not appear to exist.

Moving forward. Where there is already wide consensus is in the
development of the technical specification. The best route to a widely
adopted policy that can create the right incentives to enhance privacy
and promote best practices is for the TPWG to focus on a technical
specification to facilitate established policy-making structures in
various jurisdictions.

Thank you for considering my comments.