Re: Request for comments on priorities for DNT

The group's top priority must be arriving at a consensus compliance standard. We're here because polite, tailored, unified, and effective control over third-party tracking is the best outcome for the entire web ecosystem. We need to button down both the Do Not Track policy and technology to accomplish that aim.

We have made good progress on the technical components—but there was never any doubt that we would. The technical specification remains unfinished chiefly owing to dependencies on the compliance standard and the practical futility of the preference-signaling technology in isolation from the compliance policy. I would wager that, once the compliance standard is settled, we could lock the group in a room with caffeine and have a decent protocol and API by morning.

It may be that a consensus compliance standard is impossible. But before taking our chances by punting the issue to policymakers and browser vendors, I think there are at least two procedural steps we should try.

First, we need to have technical conversations about compliance. I have great respect for the legal, policy, and management representatives from companies and trade groups. But if we're going to reach an agreement, we have to get past high-level talking points. We need to analyze, in careful detail, what the actual information needs of businesses are how to accommodate those needs while protecting user privacy. Those are fundamentally technical conversations, and we cannot have them without deeply knowledgeable industry engineers in the room.

Second, we have to hear from publishers. Everyone in the group wants to foster a thriving web economy. It can be difficult to separate the rhetoric from the reality, however, so long as we're not learning from first-party websites. I believe the group's time would be well spent understanding the positions of both large and small publishers.

Jonathan